Sunday, June 6, 2010

Blake and his Owies!



Thursday night we were at Logan's baseball game and Austin and a couple of friends went to the park to play. Blake wanted to go with them a little later, so I brought him over to play and told Austin to watch him. Not too long after Jayden, Austin's friend came running over to me telling that Blake was hurt bad. When I asked what was wrong he told me that his finger nail was ripped off. I went running over and when I got to him he was just kind of whimpering, but he was covered in blood. Both hands, face, arms, jacket, etc. I told Austin to run and grab Ryan and meet me by the bathrooms so that we could get him cleaned up. It totally looked like his nail had ripped from the one side and was hanging. Well, once we started cleaning it up it was actually a piece of fatty tissue that was squished out of his finger and was flipped over his nail. We looked at his finger and wasn't sure if a DR could really do anything with it. We found out that the boys had flipped over a man hole cover and it caught Blake's finger and smashed it. We left the game early and ran him to a friends house who is a nurse and she said to run him to the instacare. We did and the kidscare DR didn't even want to touch it, she said we should probably go to primary's and see a hand specialist/plastic surgeon. My friend Kris had asked the normal instacare DR if he would do a nailbed/finger repair and he said he would. So we went across the hall to have him check to see if it was something he really wanted to tackle. He agreed to it, numbed him up (while he was asleep, rude awakening I know), sent him to x-ray. He didn't see a fracture, so we started with stitches. It took 6-7 gut (dissolvable) stitches and 6-7 regular stitches. It had basically exploded the end of his finger. He did awesome throughout it all. He prescribed him an antibiotic and we went home and got the poor little guy to bed. The next morning the DR's office called and said that radiology did see a small fracture. They just stressed how important it is to take the antibiotic for this reason. So once again Blake got stitches, but is doing great. These pictures actually make it look a lot better than it did when we arrived.

1 comment:

Keeley said...

OUCH! That made me want to cry. I am sure you are used to all sorts of bumps, bruises, blood, etc. with all boys!